TOP TEN TUESDAY
August 16, 2016
It’s Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful blog at The Broke and the Bookish! This week’s topic was ten books with X setting so I chose: Ten Alt-History Books
Alternate History is pretty neat. I love seeing what authors do with actual historical facts, figures, or time periods and adapting them to fit their books, often times including them in a fantasy or sci-fi type setting (hence, the adaptations). I just reviewed THE RITHMATIST by Brandon Sanderson and so this concept easily popped to mind as the topic as this week’s Top Ten Tuesday list!
READ & RECOMMENDED:
- THE RITHMATIST by Brandon Sanderson | When magic is discovered, history is changed forever, including the entire landscape of North America which is now a collection of many islands.
- THE CROWN’S GAME by Evelyn Skye | Magic involved in a modified version of Imperial Russia.
- SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY by Susan Dennard | Zombies take over 1876 Philadelphia!
- BORN WICKED by Jessica Spotswood | Alternate history Salem Witch Trials
- MY LADY JANE by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows | Completely fun and frivolous re-write of Lady Jane Grey’s story (but oh, so much fun)
- GRAVE MERCY by Robin LaFevers | Assassin nuns with a connection to Death play an important role in 15th century France
- AND I DARKEN by Kiersten White | Gender-swapped Vlad the Impaler (this actually was not a favorite of mine but lots of other people loved it!)
STILL ON MY TBR:
- A CRIMINAL MAGIC by Lee Kelly | I want to get to this one so badly! Magic meets prohibition
- THE INVENTOR’S SECRET by Andrea Cremer | Alternate 19th Century America if the Revolutionary War hadn’t happened
- TIMEKEEPER by Tara Sim | Alternate Victorian era with time magic