Love book photo challenges but can’t keep up with the one-a-day posts? Then #weeklybookstagram is for you! It’s a once-a-week photo “challenge” with a different theme each week.
THE BACKSTORY: I’ve recently become quite a bit more obsessed with Instagram and I pretty much find any excuse to post pictures of books and bookish things! I first started Instagramming about two years ago and really got into it at BEA 2013 when Alyssa introduced me to Book Soulmate‘s Instagram challenge (#BSMPhotoADay) to take a new picture each day, with each month having a theme. I immediately hopped on for June and loved the idea but I kept forgetting to take a picture one day or put it off another. Some days I’d catch up but I ended up giving up the project because I just couldn’t keep up with it from day-to-day, even though I really wanted to!
Years later, I’m growing even more obsessed with Instagram — sharing my own pictures and checking out everyone else’s (I LOVE book pictures!) — and I wanted to pick up #BSMPhotoADay again but realistically, I knew that I just wouldn’t be able to keep up. I tried searching for a weekly challenge but I Googled and searched in IG high and low and couldn’t find a weekly hashtag… so I wanted to create one of my own!
#weeklybookstagram is my new weekly bookish Instagram project. I’ll post a schedule of weekly themes and participants can post any time during the week (or multiple times if you’re really an over-achiever *wink*) and just use the hashtag #weeklybookstagram to play along! Some themes will be somewhat specific and others more vague so you can play around with the idea and interpret it how you want to! I just want everyone to have fun with it!
- 06/13 – 06/19: Cutest Contemp | Self-explanatory!
- 06/20 – 06/26: Audiophile | All about audiobooks
- 06/27 – 07/04: Red, white, and blue | 4th of July theme! (Week extended to include the holiday)
- 07/05 – 07/10: Book & sunglasses | Show off your shades and favorite book, current read OR a book with sunglasses on the cover
- 07/11 – 07/17: Bright & Bold | Show off those bright and bold covers!
- 07/18 – 07/24: Current recs | What are your current books that you’re recommending the most?
Schedule for May 2, 2015 – June 12, 2015
- 05/02 – 05/08: Blast from the Past | Share a favorite book from your childhood/five years ago/one you read a while ago and needs some love!
- 05/09 – 05/15: Foreign or Special Editions | Have any special editions? We want to see your collections!
- 05/16 – 05/22: May Flowers | Books with flowers in the title/flowers on the cover/a general floral theme to your photo
- 05/23 – 05/29: Pastel Rainbow | Just like it sounds! Great a rainbow from pastel colored-books
- 05/30 – 06/05: Vacation Destination | Books set on the beach/in another country? Share your favorite vacation spots with books!
- 06/06 – 06/12: Let’s Get Historical | Share some favorite historical fiction!
Schedule for March 21, 2015 – May 1, 2015
- 03/21 – 03/27: Flora & Fauna | Books with flowers or animals on the cover… or both!
- 03/28 – 04/03: April TBR | What do you have planned to read in the month of April?
- 04/04 – 04/10: Most Recent Amazing Read | What book made you swoon/sigh/scream lately?
- 04/11 – 04/17: Bookish Video | Take a quick video to post to Insta! Bookshelf tour, a quick blurb about your current read, anything book-related that you want to post a video of! (You do not have to be IN the video if you don’t want to!)
- 04/18 – 04/24: Fade to Black | Ombre with any color transitioning into black (red to black, white to black, etc)
- 04/25 – 05/01: Turn to Page 394 | Okay, the book you’re reading may not have a page 394. Then show us page 3, page 9, page 4, page 39, page, 94, etc. Any combo of these numbers!
Schedule for February 8, 2016 – March 20, 2016
Schedule for December 28, 2015 – February 7, 2016
Schedule for November 16, 2015 – December 27, 2015
- 11/16 -11/22: Books with maps/map theme
- 11/23 – 11/29: Books (or authors) you’re thankful for
- 11/30 – 12/06: Favorite first lines
- 12/07 – 12/13: Book Spine Poetry (use book spines to create a poem of your own!)
- 12/14 – 12/20: Shades of Green
- 12/21 – 12/27: Create a bookish tree (Christmas or otherwise!) or show off a book with trees
Schedule for October 5 – November 15, 2015
- 10/05 – 10/11: Book swag/merch | Share your fav bookish swag & merchandise
- 10/12 – 10/18: Reading Throwback | What you were reading a month ago, a week ago, and what you’re reading now
- 10/19 – 10/25: Bookish Stars | Form those books in the shape of some stairs — or take a picture of your books on your staircase!
- 10/26 – 11/01: Black and Orange | For Halloween!
- 11/02 -11/08: Under the Duskjacket | Naked books!
- 11/09 – 11/15: Books + Candles | Just like it sounds!
Schedule for August 24, 2015 – October 4, 2015
PREVIOUS SCHEDULES AND THEMES
July 13, 2015 – August 23, 2015
June 1, 2015 – July 12, 2015
April 20, 2015 – May 31, 2015