2020 BOOKISH RESOLUTIONS
I’m not usually one for New Year’s Resolutions but I do like to make some bookish goals for myself for the upcoming year! It’s a nice way to try to help myself stay on track for reading, stay organized, and stay engaged a little bit more!
- A Goodreads goal of 100 books | Last year I set my reading challenge goal to 100 books since I figured that would be easily attainable. I like to be able to set a goal that I know I can accomplish and see how much more I can read over that because it’s a lot more fun and way less stressful when you’re ahead on your reading goal instead of behind! In 2019, I ended up reading 141 books, which was the most I’ve ever read in a year, so I’m expecting to do about the same this year. It’s just a lot more fun when I’m 20 books ahead of my goal instead of worrying about constantly staying on track!!
- Read more books that I already own/backlist titles | We’re calling it “#beatthebacklist2020” on Instagram but the general goal is to read more books that we already own and/or those backlist titles on our TBRs. I made a list of all of the books I own and haven’t read yet, including old ARCs and old Netgalley/Edelweiss titles (although they wiped out my Edelweiss downloaded list once they switched to the new version…. I do have a list on Goodreads though so I’ll definitely still add those). Since I’m mostly listening to audiobooks, I’ve been trying to see what’s available through the library/Hoopla/Scribd to help me out! Unfortunately the ones without audiobook versions/versions that are easily available, I don’t know if I’ll ever get to those, but I’ll consider unhauling things either halfway through the year or at the end of the year!
- Curb my bookish spending | I haven’t really done a lot of book-buying recently since I have so many books that I still need to read and no time to read them. Most of my book-buying is pre-ordering from my favorite authors or buying books after I finish the audiobook and want a physical copy. I bought a few subscription boxes last year for some of my favorite fandoms and I’m glad I have some of the items but I also feel like I really could have done without them. I don’t really use merch in my book photos anymore so it’s really just sitting around otherwise and I feel like I could have saved some money instead of buying things because I was tempted. This year I’m going to try to restrain myself and remind myself that I don’t really DO anything with the merch. The thing I did spend the most money on was enamel pins but most of them were purchased in sales, so I may allow myself to still buy some things on sale!
- Unhaul things I don’t use/don’t need | It’s really hard for me to part with stuff sometimes but I’ve been working on unhauling a lot of stuff lately! There are so many things that I forgot about that I haven’t been missing so I’ve been selling/trading on Owlcrate’s buy/sell/trade Facebook group or selling on Mercari. Books are a little harder because most people don’t seem to want to buy old titles so I may keep some of those to bring to the used bookstore, eventually. I just don’t have one readily near me so it’s a big decision to make my way out to a good one haha.
- Stay more active in the bookish community | I miss being really involved in the book community!! I used to be so active with blogging and Twitter and keeping up with new releases and I spend so much time working on Novelly Yours stuff at home that I’ve really fallen away from that activity. Plus with my Enneagram 5 personality, I just tend to remove myself more completely rather than pop in here and there because it feels weird returning, like I don’t belong, and I feel fake for some reason. I mean, it’s still me and it’s still my blog so I don’t know why I feel like that, but it would be nice to get back into it, wherever I fit nowadays! I want to get back on Twitter (which was last year’s goal that didn’t happen), even if it isn’t a lot and try to stay more updated on blogging (which was also last year’s goal which also kind of didn’t happen) and interact on Instagram!