One of my favorite bloggers (and people. She’s a gem!), Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner, hosts a wonderful thing called the End of Year Book Survey. I had an absolute blast completing the survey for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 so I was excited to hop on board for the 2019 END OF YEAR BOOK SURVEY!
As usual, all links will take you to my reviews for these books so if you see something you’re curious about, check out my reviews!
2019 READING STATS
Number Of Books You Read: 141
Number of Re-Reads: 26
Genre You Read The Most From: I actually have no idea! Goodreads used to help out with a nice pie chart and they don’t have it anymore. I’d probably say thriller or fantasy? Did I even read a lot of fantasy this year?
- Best Book You Read In 2019? Hands down, DARK AGE by Pierce Brown
- Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? 99 PERCENT MINE by Sally Thorne. I was so excited and just didn’t connect with it at all.
- Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Hmmm probably something like AN EMBER IN THE ASHES? I had previously DNFed it and tried it again this year and really enjoyed it!
- Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? I tried to plug WAITING FOR TOM HANKS some! It was just so cute.
- Best series you started in 2019? Best Sequel of 2019? Best Series Ender of 2019? Started — KING OF SCARS. Sequel — DARK AGE. Series Ender — Probably DARKDAWN even though I didn’t love the ending.
- Favorite new author you discovered in 2019? Christina Lauren! I may have started reading their books in 2018 but I really binge read most of them in 2019!
- Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? Hmm I didn’t read outside my comfort zone a lot so I’ll get specific! I AM PILGRIM was a really great read for me and I don’t normally read political thrillers.
- Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? DARK AGE for sure!
- Book You Read In 2019 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year? CALL DOWN THE HAWK! I almost re-read it immediately and decided to hold off to re-read when I do my annual Raven Cycle re-read!
- Favorite cover of a book you read in 2019? LOCK EVERY DOOR by Riley Sager (I don’t know why but I love that pink! I bought the book just so I could have this crazy pink cover.)
- Most memorable character of 2019? I don’t know! Maybe Alex Stern from NINTH HOUSE?
- Most beautifully written book read in 2019? Easily THE STARLESS SEA.
- Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2019? Hmmm I feel like I don’t read many life-changing books. I’d say THE STARLESS SEA was also probably the most thought-provoking.
- Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2019 to finally read? PRODIGY & CHAMPION by Marie Lu! I had been meaning to finish that series for yeeeears.
- Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2019? I don’t keep track of quotes but basically anything from THE STARLESS SEA. So many book lover quotes in there.
- Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2019? Shortest — BECOMING THE DARK PRINCE (Stalking Jack the Ripper novella), 64 pgs. Longest — DARK AGE by Pierce Brown, 704 pgs.
- Book That Shocked You The Most? DARK AGE (sorry, but it’s that good. It’s basically ever answer). Pierce Brown is NUTS.
- OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) Huh, I didn’t really ship anyone that hard this year. I liked some more quiet romances better.
- Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year? Zachary Ezra Rawlins and basically everyone in THE STARLESS SEA.
- Favorite Book You Read in 2019 From An Author You’ve Read Previously? …. DARK AGE. Ha.
- Best Book You Read In 2019 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.: A CURSE SO DARK AND LONELY! I don’t think I’d have picked it up without bookstagram. Also WAITING FOR TOM HANKS.
- Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2019? Nikolai but more? haha
- Best 2019 debut you read? WAITING FOR TOM HANKS by Kerry Winfrey
- Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? DARK AGE, KING OF SCARS
- Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? WAITING FOR TOM HANKS was soooooo stinkin’ cute.
- Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2019? DARKDAWN, I think. I can’t remember! I know I sobbed for something but I don’t remember what it was.
- Hidden Gem Of The Year? THESE WITCHES DON’T BURN! That was a fun read and I feel like it didn’t get enough attention.
- Book That Crushed Your Soul? DARK AGE, DARKDAWN.
- Most Unique Book You Read In 2019? Probably THE STARLESS SEA.
- Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? CAPTURING THE DEVIL, THE SWALLOWS
- New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2019? I barely had time to keep up with my own!
- Favorite post you wrote in 2019? Oh gosh, I barely even wrote anything in 2019. I did write one discussion post about audiobooks! (Someone said Audiobooks weren’t books…….)
- Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2019? It wasn’t the most popular one but one of my favorites was my photo of DARK AGE and the Red Rising books in my best books of 2019 countdown! (see below)
- Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.)? I was a vendor at Beaulitfulcon & Apollycon in 2019 and it was so much fun!
- Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2019? Probably the events above! I didn’t really do anything outstanding in blogging this year like I had hoped!
- Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? Reading time for print books (I spent a lot of my reading time working) and just finding time to blog in general! I’m really, really trying to get better on that this year!
- Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? Hmmm probably the discussion I linked above.
- Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? Any of them? Ha! I haven’t been very involved in my blog/the community this year.
- Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? New local indie bookstores! I need to visit a few but I’m excited for them.
- Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? Just my Goodreads goal for this year! I have more goals planned for 2020 😀
View this post on Instagram
- One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2019 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2020? Oh, so many! Off the top of my head, I know I want to get to VENGEFUL this year.
- Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2020 (non-debut)? A HEART SO FIERCE AND BROKEN (which I’m reading now)!
- 2020 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? I honestly have no idea! I haven’t been looking ahead a lot but I want to!
- Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2020? I guess A HEART SO FIERCE AND BROKEN? I feel like 2019 had so many releases and 2020 is kind of a break year?
- One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2020? Just blog more consistently, come up with other posts besides reviews. Get back in the community and participate on Twitter and stuff. I’m trying to read more backlist/owned books, see movie/TV adaptations (or read them first if I haven’t read them yet).
- A 2020 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable): I haven’t read any yet! I haven’t had time to read ahead at ALL.