One of my favorite bloggers (and people. She’s a gem!), Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner, hosts a wonderful thing called the End of Year Book Survey. I had an absolute blast completing the survey for 2012, 2013, and 2014 so I was excited to hop on board for the 2015 END OF YEAR BOOK SURVEY!
As usual, all links will take you to my reviews for these books so if you see something you’re curious about, check out my reviews!
Number Of Books You Read: 103
Number of Re-Reads: 9
Genre You Read The Most From: Looks like fantasy! That’s pretty awesome.
1. Best Book You Read In 2015? This question is always impossible. Okayyy let’s totally cheat.
SERIES FINALE: WINTER by Marissa Meyer
SERIES SPIN-OFF: SIX OF CROWS by Leigh Bardugo
DEBUT: THE STORYSPINNER by Becky Wallace
YA FANTASY: QUEEN OF SHADOWS by Sarah J. Maas
ADULT FANTASY: THE NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss
SCI-FI: ILLUMINAE by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
CONTEMP YA: EMMY & OLIVER by Robin Benway
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? AN EMBER IN THE ASHES by Sabaa Tahir. Soooo much hype. It didn’t work for me at all.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Hmmm I’m actually going to go with DEVOTED by Jennifer Matthieu. It’s totally not something I would have ever picked up for myself but it was so well done, beautifully written, and something quite different from my norm! (Thanks to Mary from Macmillan for the rec!)
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? I book-pushed THE STORYSPINNER a lot!!
5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015? Best series I started: The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. Best sequel: QUEEN OF SHADOWS. Best series ender: WINTER.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015? Patrick Rothfuss! I’m still discovering/exploring adult fantasy and I fell absolutely head over heels for his books. I’m so incredibly invested.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? Probably the handful of MG books! I really don’t ever pick them up unless I read them with my gals from On the Same Page but I enjoyed them all!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? Oooh. Obviously QUEEN OF SHADOWS but I’ll be using that for a lot of answers soooo. I’ll go with equally exciting books like ILLUMINAE and STEELHEART by Brandon Sanderson. I couldn’t stop reading them!!!
9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? Well I planned to re-read THE SCORPIO RACES every year. This was my third year reading it. A book that I read in 2015 for the first time? Probably ILLUMINAE. I want to listen to it on audio because I’ve heard that the audio is also amazing and may do a re-read before book two comes out!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015? I still love the cover for FIRST & THEN by Emma Mills
(she’s also such a sweetheart)!
11. Most memorable character of 2015? Kvothe from THE NAME OF THE WIND! He became one of my new favorite characters. I just love him.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015? I think THE LIES ABOUT TRUTH by Courtney C. Stevens. It was so well done, well-written, awesome characters.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2015? ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES by Jennifer Niven kind of wrecked me. HARD.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read? Definitely GONE GIRL. I put that one off for way too long for no apparent reason! Still need to see the movie.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015? Ooh this is hard. I never keep track of quotes! I can definitely pin a favorite passage from WINTER but it’s spoilery (kind of). I mean, we can always go with the term “fire-breathing bitch-queen” from QUEEN OF SHADOWS…
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015? THE WISE MAN’S FEAR by Patrick Rothfuss (994 pgs), CALVIN by Martine Leavitt (192 pgs)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most? Hmmm. There were a few that shocked me in different ways… ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES, ILLUMINAE, WINTER… Yeah, I think those were the big ones!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) Oooh ummm… I had TONS of ships in THE STORYSPINNER and THE SKYLIGHTER! I was shipping them allllll. Obviously still shipping Cress & Thorne hard in WINTER. Ya know, I didn’t have too many new ships this year! My OTP is probably Cress and Thorne though!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year? Kvothe and his friend group (THE NAME OF THE WIND), The Lunar Chronicles crew (relationships aside, #squalgoals), I swore I had another one but I can’t remember now!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously? We’ll go with something that was not in the same series… Ooh um… STEELHEART, probably!
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure: DEVOTED! Also ALANNA, obviously THE NAME OF THE WIND.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015? Man, I didn’t have a lot of super-crushes! Maybe Rowan in QUEEN OF SHADOWS?
23. Best 2015 debut you read? THE STORYSPINNER and ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? Always love Sanderson’s worldbuilding and was so impressed with everything else that was introduced in SHADOWS OF SELF!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? Honestly, ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS always makes me smile like a goon.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015? I UGLY CRIED at ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES and EMMY & OLIVER.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? Probably THE LIES ABOUT TRUTH or THE STORYSPINNER. I read a lot of new/popular books so those are the ones that I feel were a bit more under the radar.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? I didn’t really have many this year! I guess ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015? MIDWINTERBLOOD by Marcus Sedgwick
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Almost definitely NEED by Joelle Charbonneau. I was so frustrated with pretty much everyone in the book.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015? Lauren from Bookmark Lit, Morgan from Gone With the Words, Lindsey from Bring My Books, Kristin from Super Space Chick! (did I first find you guys in 2015? I can’t even remember. I’m so bad at this)
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015? I actually had a lot of fun with QUEEN OF SHADOWS…
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? I guess I really enjoyed my post on blogging stats! It was inspired by a tweet where someone was upset that someone unfollowed them for posting twice in a day and sort of took a turn to be “blog how you want and the followers will be there for you”. It was also about how I really enjoy stats in general and I have no shame that I check my stats. Not everyone cares and I’m not blogging FOR the numbers but I also think it’s a wonderful motivator to keep me going and really just affirmation that people appreciate what I’m doing.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? Probably ALAMW in Chicago (I don’t even know if I did a recap?) and actually spending time with people at BEA15.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015? Ooh ummm. Actually, probably opening my Etsy shop for bookish candles (Novelly Yours). It’s not blogging related but it is book-related and it’s been so much fun and so rewarding so far!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? I’m still really, really trying to not overcommit myself. I just love being a part of so many things because they all sound so much fun but I’m really trying to pull back and not stress myself out. One of my goals for 2016 is also to try to request/download LESS egalleys/ARCs.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? If You Liked… Harry Potter
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? Definitely The Stages of Starting A New Book By Your Favorite Author, As Told By The Princess Bride. It was SO much fun to do but I felt like it didn’t get as many views as I had hoped!
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? Another local bookstore and some new Etsy shops. I feel like I didn’t really discover that much this year!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? Haha NOPE. I actually dropped out of all of the challenges shortly after I committed.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016? THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER. We keep trying to squeeze this one in and we’re finally reading it in January for OtSP!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)? THE RAVEN KING (*prepares soul*)
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? Probably… SUMMER OF SLOANE! There are more but that’s one I remember 😀
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016? THE RAVEN KING, ACOMAF, CROOKED KINGDOM
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016? Mostly just request less. It’s so hard because SHINY but I really need to catch up and not pick up everything that I WANT to read right away.
6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone: I think I’ve only read one 2016 book so far! It was a series-ender.