It’s Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful blog at The Broke and the Bookish! This week’s topic: Ten Covers I Wish I Could Redesign
Well, of course I spent WAY too much time on this, deciding to redesign the covers myself. Therefore, you only get two today because I am in no way a graphic designer and ideas as well as Photoshop take me forever hahaha. The “new designs” aren’t fantastic either (again, lack of skillz), but you’ll get the gist of what I wish they could be!
This is one of my FAVORITE books and the cover does it no justice. I do love the purple on the original cover but what a STOCK IMAGE. God, I hate that book folded into a heart. The flower, the book, ugh. Just has nothing to do with the book (well, the book does, but not the way it’s pictured. ICK.) so I chose to redesign this cover with something I felt was a teensy bit better. Still not 100% the way I envisioned it in my head, but Photoshoppin’ ain’t easy! I wanted this book once full of love torn up! So there you see the general idea of what I would have liked this cover to be!
Again, not EXACTLY how I wanted the “new” cover to come out, but I just didn’t like this girl’s legs in the background. Her shoes, her costume jewelry, weirdly shiny legs…? Just not working for the cover. That’s not even nerdy. Not a fan of the font either. My re-imagination isn’t exactly how I wanted this to turn out either, but you struggle with Photoshop for a few hours and you take what you can get haha! Anyway, I just wanted it to be a bit “nicer”… If I could have done it the way I wanted it to and not turned out crappy, I probably would have thrown something silly or cute on there like a pair of glasses or formulas or comic books. You know. I tried, but it wasn’t turning out the way I wanted it to, so I settled with summer, whimsical, and neat.
More Covers That Could Use a Facelift…
- I LOVED The Beginning of Everything and I totally understand WHY the roller coaster is on the cover… But I don’t think it’s a big enough part of the story to be on the cover. Technically, it involved a secondary character AND it wasn’t even a roller coaster like a Six Flags theme park — it was a ride at Disneyland. I don’t think it should be the main focus of the cover although I LOVE the image and the color.
- I totally fangirled over Sweet Evil when I first read it but… it even stated in the book that Anna wasn’t a girl who wore dresses. So why is she in a prom dress on the cover? She never wore a dress the entire book. It’s a striking cover and gorgeous, but not applicable to the book at all except for the fact that the main characters are on there.
- A Game of Thrones is a pretty freaking epic book and an epic start to an epic series. So why is the cover so dull? (The rest of the series follows suit…)
- Gayle Forman’s first YA fiction novel Sisters In Sanity is a little lesser-known but I still really enjoyed it! But what’s up with the cover? I’m not quite sure what the flowers are for…?
- Life After Theft was from a male POV… So why is Kimberlee on the cover instead of Jeff?
- The cover of Before I Fall is kind of scary. You can’t see the rest of this girl’s body and it almost looks like…. it’s not attached to anything? She also looks really young and I actually thought this was an MG book for the longest time. I thought the main character was like, 12 and not in high school. Laying in the field also has nothing to do with the book…
- I actually didn’t think the Vampire Academy series was TOO bad but for some reason I feel like the Bloodlines series got even more soap opera-looking. I also feel like this burgundy color is just really dark for a background.
- Lola’s eyes seem REALLY big on the cover of Lola and The Boy Next Door haha. I also feel like aside from the two models on the cover, everything looks really Photoshoppy.