One of my favorite bloggers (and people. She’s a gem!), Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner, hosts a wonderful thing called the End of Year Book Survey. I had an absolute blast completing the survey for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 so I was excited to hop on board for the 2018 END OF YEAR BOOK SURVEY!
As usual, all links will take you to my reviews for these books so if you see something you’re curious about, check out my reviews!
2018 READING STATS
Number Of Books You Read: 133
Number of Re-Reads: 22
Genre You Read The Most From: Hmmm I’m guessing fantasy!
- Best Book You Read In 2018? The books in the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown! Specifically MORNING STAR
- Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? Probably IN THE AFTERLIGHT… I had high hopes for the rest of The Darkest Minds series but they fell so flat!
- Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? SADIE by Courtney Summers! It was so powerful and I had to finish it in one sitting.
- Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? Hmmm, probably RED RISING!
- Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018? Series: I binge read so many! Probably the October Daye series. Sequel: GOLDEN SON! MORNING STAR! Series Ender: MORNING STAR by Pierce Brown
- Favorite new author you discovered in 2018? Has to be Seanan McGuire! I binge read two of her series this year and loved them both!
- Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? Hmmm probably THE LIGHT BETWEEN WORLDS. I haven’t been reading a lot of “serious” books lately and it gave me a lot of feels!
- Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? MORNING STAR… repeating things but it’s true! They’re so good!
- Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year? Well I do have my annual re-reads, but I don’t think those should count. Hmmm maybe re-reading the Red Rising series? Or re-reading FOUNDRYSIDE before the next book? I’m not sure, actually!
- Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018? BENEATH THE SUGAR SKY by Seanan McGuire. Those colors!
- Most memorable character of 2018? Mia Corvere from NEVERNIGHT!
- Most beautifully written book read in 2018? THE LIGHT BETWEEN WORLDS! It was so lovely.
- Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2018? I guess also THE LIGHT BETWEEN WORLDS!
- Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read? NEVERNIGHT and THE BONE SEASON!
- Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018? Eh, I don’t keep track of quotes.
- Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018? EVERY HEART A DOORWAY by Seanan McGuire (170), KINGDOM OF ASH by Sarah J. Maas (992)
- Book That Shocked You The Most: Hmmmm. GOLDEN SON and MORNING STAR! Those twists!
- OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!): Mia and Don Tric. Sigh.
- Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year: Darrow and Sevro/Sevro and Ragnar from the Red Rising series!
- Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously: NEVERNIGHT by Jay Kristoff
- Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.: The October Daye series!
- Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018? Hmmm can I keep Thomas from the Stalking Jack the Ripper series since ESCAPING FROM HOUDINI was a new book?
- Best 2018 debut you read? THE LIGHT BETWEEN WORLDS
- Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? Red Rising, FOUNDRYSIDE
- Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? UNDEAD GIRL GANG!
- Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018? THE LIGHT BETWEEN WORLDS
- Hidden Gem Of The Year? I think FOUNDRYSIDE.
- Book That Crushed Your Soul? I guess SADIE?
- Most Unique Book You Read In 2018? Ooh that’s a difficult one! SKY IN THE DEEP? SCYTHE? UNDEAD GIRL GANG?
- Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? THE BOYFRIEND BRACKET. It was just… not good.
- New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2018? This is hard! I can’t remember who was new as of 2018.
- Favorite post you wrote in 2018? My Stranger Things recommendation guide!
- Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2018? It’s a recent one, but I loved my photo of STRANGE THE DREAMER and MUSE OF NIGHTMARES!
View this post on Instagram
4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.)? I had a blast at ALA Annual in New Orleans as well as BEA/Book Con in NYC!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2018? Does candle work count? Because getting more candles into bookstores was very awesome! Also being in the acknowledgements of ESCAPING FROM HOUDINI was amazing!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? Probably just keeping up with the blog this year! I really struggled with carving out time for it but I’m trying!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? Out of any year published: If You Liked… Anna and the French Kiss | Published this year: Review of NEVER FADE by Alexandra Bracken
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? Also my Stranger Things recommendation post! I feel like it barely got any views and I worked so hard on it!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? I loved finding new bookstores in my area! Harvey’s Tales just opened in Geneva, IL and I found a used bookstore in Batavia!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? Just the Goodreads annual challenge! I completed my goal of 100 and went on to finish 133.
- One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019? Hmmm I’m not sure! I did get to some older books and I intentionally put off GODSGRAVE to wait a little bit longer until book three is coming out. I do need to catch up on a lot of ARCs.
- Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)? KING OF SCARS!
- 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? I don’t even know, TBH. I haven’t been reading a lot of debuts unless someone else has read them first. I just have so many things to read and haven’t even been thinking forward like that.
- Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019? Hmmmm. The Ronan Trilogy? Is that coming out in 2019?
- One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019? Just to keep on blogging! I want to get back to regular reviews and come up with other unique posts like I used to. I’m trying!
- A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable): I haven’t read many 2019 books yet! The one I did read I didn’t love. Oops.